Prof. Dr. Barbara Potthast
The research of Prof. Dr. Barbara Potthast focuses on family and gender history and the general social history of Latin America. Another focus lies on the history of photography in Latin America. Geographically, she works primarily on the history of Paraguay and Argentina and the Caribbean coast of Central America.
Current third-party funded projects
- a) Maria Sibylla Merian International Centre "Conviviality in Unequal Societies: Perspectives from Latin America", in cooperation with: Freie Universität Berlin, Ibero-Amerikanisches Institut, Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz, Berlin (IAI), University of São Paulo, Centro Brasileiro de Análise e Planejamento (CEBRAP), Colegio de México (COLMEX) and Instituto de Investigaciones en Humanidades y Ciencias Sociales (IdIHCS CONICET/Universidad Nacional de La Plata) financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
- b) Research Network for Latin America „Ethnicity, Citizenship and Belonging” in collaboration with the universities of Cologne, Bielefeld and Bonn, sponsored by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
- c) Research project „Integration, Exclusion, Exception: National discourses of identity and societal self-perception in Chile and Argentina (1780-1950)”, sponsored by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- d) Research project „Visions and visualizations. South America in visual media of the 19th and 20th century”. Directors: Prof. Dr. Barbara Potthast und PD Dr. Jens Jäger, sponsored by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- e) Program „multilingual competence“ in the BA/MA-program Area Studies of Latin America, sponsored by the initiative “German and more” of the Volkswagen Foundation.